Sharp Family

Sharp Family

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Winter Blues

You ever have just one of those days, well in all honesty it has been just one of those months. My poor family has had to be really patient with me. I'm not sure if it's just the gloomy winter weather, or the fact that Mike has been gone quite a bit with work, or just the stress of the holidays, but unfortunately I have just been a serious grump the past few weeks. Sorry this is a downer post, but it's just what's been on my mind lately. Any suggestions for getting out of the doldrums? I know I just need to get out, exercises and just get up and do, but sometimes it is just hard to be motivated. I think I just need to work on finding "balance" in my life. Whenever I feel out of sorts it's because something is missing from my daily routine. On Sunday I was able to go to a Christmas concert and sing the Hallelujah chorus which brought such joy to my soul. I sure miss being able to sing in a choir that large, and especially the Messiah and Christmas music. I need to take more advantage of the blessing of being the ward choir director. Yesterday was somewhat of a turning point for me. In the morning I was so impatient with Emma. I swear I was getting on her for everything. Instead of stepping back and realizing that she was tired and needed some empathy, I just wanted her to go along with my schedule. Tantrums and frustrations ensued. I should know better by now. Poor little girl, I just pray I can do better so she doesn't grow up with a mother who is grumpy all the time. Urgh! So frustrated about that. Luckily I have a patient husband and the girls ended up both taking a 3 hr. nap yesterday so I was able to take a step back and relax and try a bit better in the afternoon. Today we had preschool here at our house and it was a lot of fun. It was nice to be active and have more organized fun for my child. Anyway, I am just hoping that this lull doesn't last for too long. I have been truly blessed with a beautiful family, and a wonderful Christmas season that allows us to serve others and remember all the blessings we've been given. Vivian at 5 months

(Doesn't that wry smile look just like her daddy?) At 5 months Vivian is such a chatter box. She loves to sing. She is very social and curious, she hates to eat and sleep if there is something going on that she would rather look at. She loves to roll all over the place. Her favorite person is Emma and she loves Rusty as well. She has problems going poop on a regular basis, but is otherwise a sweet little child. She loves her hands and always has a hand in her mouth. She spits up a ton and especially loves to spit up on her dad. What funny gal.
Emma is a very smart child who is starting to say very humorous adult phrases like, "I was just kidding". She has said some really funny ones that I unfortunatley cannot remember. She loves to play with her friends, jump, see the sparkly house lights, and loves to draw temples. We sure love her. She is a great big sister and is always helping Vivian be happy.

4 comments:

tkfonzie said...

I am sorry about the 'doldrums', when I was out in California away from everyone I felt the same way:P. The only thing I found that helped was doing service for others and ramping up my scripture study...it helped me to not feel so sorry for myself and see how blessed I was on a regular basis. Exersise and a diet of whole grains, less fat and sugar helps too...good luck with that throughout the Christmas holidays huh? :))

Loved the new pictures of the girls; Vivi is getting so big and Emma looks much older with her hair down. Such sweet girls!

Love Ya Aim!!!!

Heidi Green said...

Ditto Kim's first paragraph. Hard things to do even small things when you don't want to do anything at all though. I felt this way most acutely when I had a baby and/or my kids were really young... very little sleep and very little time to take care of yourself is a bad combo. Be selfish and take care of Mommy first. It's like what they say on the airplanes - you have to put on your oxygen mask first before you help anyone else. Call me if you ever get sad, I'd love to chat.

btw - I love your new family pictures!!!

EmWJ said...

I don't know if you deal with this already, but Post-partum usually hits me at about 5 months. I'm never ready for it. So just make sure to take care of yourself and realize that sometimes its things outside of your control.

That, and I beat the duldrums with busyness.

Monica said...

I'm getting on here late so I hope your feeling better now and had a good Christmas. You are such a good mom, I know your kids are going to remember you as great! So I wouldn't worry about that. Something that helped me feel more balanced is writing down a small goal for 4 to 5 different areas of my life every day and at the end of the day rating how I accomplished the goal. The purpose of the rating system is to see where I can improve and not how bad I did. For instance the areas I wanted to work on was 1. my husband, 2. my children 3. God, and 4. my health. So my goal for #1 might be, call just to say HI. #2 might be, tell each of my kids something good they did today. #3 Might be, make V.T. appointments, and #4 might be, exercise for at least 30min. Then at the end of the day you rate from a 1-5 how good you did. It's really helped me feel more balanced.