Sharp Family

Sharp Family

Monday, October 1, 2012

Restlessness to Reassurance

Do any of you have those moments where you just feel restless. Nothing is terribly wrong in your life, in fact it is overflowing with blessing, but you still feel "wanting". This past week I was truly feeling this way. Mike had gone on another business trip and I was missing family and just looking for some change in our lives. It's funny because I grew up my whole life in the same town, same house and rarely had any change, but once I left home it seemed like every year I was moving somewhere different, meeting new people, doing different things. I guess part of me came to think of that as "normal". I would in some ways prepare myself to not "put down roots". We are so blessed to be where we are and I just need to sit tight and enjoy the ride. Hopefully all this looking for change won't bring unwanted changes in our lives. Yikes! Anyway, my whole point of this was to talk about how much the Lord can help teach us if we are open and willing to listen. Mike and I had had a crazy week and hadn't seen each other a whole lot, I was feeling "restless" and so the thought of going to the Relief Society General Broadcast was at the time just another check on my list of things I needed to get done. I'm so grateful that I went though because it was exactly what I needed. The messages that were shared I felt like were just for me. At least I was able to take what I needed to hear from them. It's amazing how much insight we can get into our own lives when we are surrounded my the influence of the spirit. There were so many impressions that I received that honestly had nothing to do with the topic of the talk, but it's what I needed to learn. I can't wait for General Conference next weekend! I'm so grateful for the Atonement and how it can help us in every aspect of our lives. I'm thankful that I am living here in California and that we have the opportunity to know and serve so many wonderful people, and feel of their love for us. So many have taken us under their wing and helped us as we are far away from home. There is much to be grateful for including: kisses from my baby, thank you's from Emma, encouragement from my husband, the holidays approaching, opportunities to use my education, freedom, the spirit, scriptures, temples, restored truth, the knowledge that I am a daughter of God and that he has a plan for me and my family, and that he was able to help me turn my restlessness into reassurance. I hope you all enjoy this coming conference weekend!


For any of you who missed the General Relief Society Meeting here is a link:

 http://www.lds.org/broadcasts/watch/general-relief-society-meeting/2012/09?lang=eng&vid=1868422120001

4 comments:

Jackie said...

I loved this post. You put everything into words beautifully. I'm sorry that you had a hard week. The RS Bradcast was wonderful wasn't it? The talks, music and and feeling of sisterhood was just wonderful. I'm glad that you got some answers that you needed. Love ya Aim!

tkfonzie said...

Ditto what Jackie said:). I am always in a rush it seems when this comes around and I sometimes feel like I could miss it and be O.K., but then you listen and it just fills your cup! We are so blessed to have the ability to hear our leaders on a regular basis and of course, we are pysched for Conference! Our last one with Jake for two years!!

Heidi Green said...

I thought it was funny how you got used to moving and changes enough to crave it a bit again... that seemed so unlike you. I'm sorry your week was tough - call me to chat next time! This was a sweet testimony Aim, thanks for sharing. :)

Monica said...

I know those feelings of restlessness well. What a beautiful testimony of how much you are blessed. We all are.