Sharp Family

Sharp Family

Thursday, July 25, 2013

Summer Fun

This summer we decided to get Emma involved in Gymnastics.  We are no longer participating, but had been taking Emma to Physical and Occupational therapy.  She really came a long way with her physical therapy.  She is much better at balancing, etc. now.  She still has a hard time with coordination (She falls a lot), but we are hoping that gymnastics will help her as well.  As far as her occupational therapy goes, they were just going to be working with her holding a pencil and her grip which she is honestly on age level for and so we just decided we could work with her on those things at home.  Anyway, that is a long detailed story for another time, I just realized I had never written about it on the blog. 

So onto gymnastics.  I was almost in tears the first day because I could see how good it was going to be for her and I was just kicking myself that I hadn't gotten her into it sooner.  She has really come a long way.  I'm sure she will never be an Olympic gymnast, but it a great opportunity for her to have fun, strengthen her muscles, learn to follow directions and persevere.  She gets very proud of herself when she is able to accomplish something that at first was very difficult.  She has come a long way and I am proud of her.  Hopefully we'll be able to get Vivian involved sooner than later as well.


 










The girls are also involved in swim lessons.  We were able to take advantage of the amazing $5 sessions again this year, and although I had to wait in line, with the kids, for 4 hours to get them, it has been worth it.  Emma is becoming a pretty good swimmer.  She can keep herself a float and is really working on using her arms and legs in a more appropriate manner.  She is the queen of back floating and her teacher recommended with put her in a more advanced class.  I'm so proud of all the hard work Emma is putting in to learning how to swim.  Yay Emma!

No Vivian on the other hand is such a funny kid.  She used to love the water, but our first couple of classes she just could not wait to get out and kept telling me she wanted her towel and wanted to go home.  :)  She has since warmed up to the idea and is doing really well at blowing bubbles and kicking her legs and using her arms in the pool.  2 more weeks and we'll all be pro's.







3 comments:

Jackie said...

Wow, it sounds like they're doing some fun things! I loved Emma's gymnastics pictures, super cute. And way to go on the swimming lessons. I can't wait to play with you guys in a month!!!

tkfonzie said...

Cool stuff going on at the Sharp house:). I had no idea that Emma was struggling in any way; I am glad that this is something that she is getting some boosts to her ego...it is always fun to learn a new 'skill' and see how you are getting better...even when you are little:).
I wish I would have put all of my boys in swim lessons; Drew had such a tizzy fit freak-out, that I was too embarrassed to try again until Logan. :/

Anonymous said...

Yea for gymnastics!! I love little girls in leotards... so cute!

I am SO impressed with Emma's swimming too - my kids have to take years of lessons and we go swimming often and the 2 little ones still can't float on their backs... at least they feel comfortable in the water but your little gal sounds like a fish!

I had no idea E was going to OC... I'm glad you mentioned that. What made you think to take her?