Sharp Family

Sharp Family

Thursday, June 19, 2008

Celtic Euphoria



WARNING: Extreme amounts of sports content that will probably bore you.

It all started in 1997 for me. I was at a Jazz game of all places, roaming around the gift shops at half time, when a sweet looking hat caught my attention. Of course it was green, my favorite color, and had a sweet leperchaun guy on it. Although I knew little of the team, I bought the hat, and became a Celtic fan. It's interesting how favorite sport teams are chosen by 14 year olds. I was a Jazz fan, and that is for sure. Still am, always will be. I guess that one team was not enough to fill the fanitical mind of teenager with endless amounts of time. I was looking for an Eastern Conference favorite, and the Celtics fit the bill. Although they were a horrible team that would not get me in trouble of, "bandwagoning", they had just hired a promising new coach Rick Patino, had employee #8 as their up and coming star, and a handful of first round picks to surround Antoine Walker with. They were a fun team to watch and follow, although they never lived up to their potential.
To say that I was fanatical about the Celtics in high school was an understatement. I had celtic jersey, celtic hat, a celtic clock, celtic key chains, and a celtic warm up jacket. I remember at least three reports I wrote for middle school and high school about Bill Russell, Red Aurbauh, and Larry Bird. I've definitely toned down since then, (I'm much more fanatical about the Jazz these days), but I've definitely been excited to see them excell this season.
It's been a tough ride as a Celtic fan, filled with mostly dissapointment. Even that brief stretch of a decent team between 2001-2003, I was on my mission and couldn't enjoy it. So this season seems like a little bit of redemption for all my misery.
I got to say that I've been a pretty lucky sports fan recently. In the past 3 years, the Chicago Bears went to the Super Bowl, the St. Louis Cardinals won the world series, the Detroit Red Wings won the Stanley Cup, and now the Celtics have won the NBA championship. It doesn't get much better than this. (unless the Jazz won the title of course) Here's to the LA Lakers not winning another championship, GO CELTICS!!!

5 comments:

tkfonzie said...

The only positive thing about the Celtics is that they beat the Lakers ;-)!

Heidi Green said...

I root for anyone vs the Lakers. Hooray Celtics!

Marnie said...

Mike I thought of you during every celtics game we watched. I don't love them, but I am glad they beat the Lakers.

Mandos said...

I was happy to see the Celtics win also! Not only did I know it would make my brother happy. It made me very happy not to have Koby win!

Mom in Orem said...

I am surprised that your fanaticism is waning for the Celtics. And I had no idea that you actually liked another team. Go Jazz!

Loved all the history, the mark of a true fan.