Sharp Family

Sharp Family

Saturday, June 28, 2008

Tornados and Turning 7



We have had a plethora of thunder storms lately. The other night we were jovially awakened by severe thunder storm and tornado warnings. I have never experienced a tornado before and so all I have to compare them too, as Mike likes to point out, are the movies. So in my mind all I can think of is "Twister" and "The Wizard of Oz". I am still sticking to my guns though that those images are not too far from the truth.:) So being in my first "possible" tornado made me pretty nervous and Mike was just ready to go back to bed. Before doing so though he was kind enough to look up how to respond to tornadoes on the Internet. I think we both got a better idea of what to expect. We are now going to be hiding in our downstairs closet every time the tornado alarm goes off.:) The next morning came oh so soon.
We are preparing to take a summer trip back to Utah and I can't wait!! The closer it gets the more I just want to get on a plane and leave today. We will be staying for 10 days and will be there for both of our families camp outs as well as going to our new nephew Hollands blessing, and the Sugarhouse fireworks. It will be a busy week and a half but we are sure looking forward to spending time with family. My mom has already drafted us for house work. We are going to be helping her take down some old shelves in "the new fruit room" and replacing them in "the old fruit room". I guess this will allow her more space for storage, as well as easier access to food storage. I found it interesting with all that has been going on this week that I had a dream last night that we were in a tornado and we decided to hide out in my mom's "old fruit room". For those who don't know it is a hole that goes under our stairs and into a dirt covered space under our house. So as we were hiding in the "old fruit room" our house was picked up up and away like in the Wizard of Oz. I think we landed a block or two away over by Harris Market. It was pretty funny.
We have also had a busy day today. We planned a birthday party for a girl in our Primary class. We only have 4 students and I remember my primary teacher Lavae would always have us over for homemade birthday cake on our birthdays. It was the highlight of the year and I thought it would be fun to continue the tradition. (minus the homemade, mine came in a box) The girl in our class is a very special young lady. Her mom has a disability and so is unable to get around too well. She is also a convert and really strong. Her kids only come to church every other week and so we are really trying to reach out to her and help her as much as possible. We love our primary class, but 2 of our kids are moving, so we will only have 2 kids on a good day. It will be a big transition in January when the next class moves up because there are 15 in the class below us. We luckily have a rather large primary. So anyway, for the party we played bingo, apples to apples, hot potato, and the Sharp birthday dance. (Thanks Manda for your suggestions) We then had a cook out and ate cake. For our first experience things went pretty well.
So the count down begins now. 6 MORE DAYS UNTIL UTAH!!!

8 comments:

Heidi Green said...

You're such great teachers! I bet the kids had a great time.

I can't wait to see you guys - woohoo!

Brooke said...

I remember being equally scared when we had a tornado warning about a month ago... It was so weird to see people going about their normal lives, meanwhile I was terrified! I'm glad you survived :)

Marnie said...

I am so glad that you two were not caught up in the tornado like in the wizard of oz. Your dream sounds scary, luckily it was just a dream.

Can't wait to see you guys!

Team Schiele said...

Cant wait to give you both a big hug! See you soon! Ian says HI and is excited about his lunch.

tkfonzie said...

What a neat idea! Those kids will always remember brother and Sister Sharp who made them feel special on their birthday. I am with you, I WOULD CONSTANTLY BE DREAMING OF BEING IN A TORNADO, BLESS YOUR HEARTS! We are all excited to see you.

Jon. Jamie. Ethan. Lynsi. Katie. said...

Hate those tornado warnings! To tell ya the truth, I must have been really out of it cause I slept right through the alarms! I haven't been able to sleep eversince cause I don't want to die in a tornado! Jon said it wouldn't be too bad cause then we would all just die together!:) That's my positive husband!

Salmon Tolman Family said...

Hey Amy,
I just found your blog! I love the photo of the tornado and the lightning at the same time. Did you take that? Also, I love that you had that birthday party for your primary kid! How awesome! Hope you have a great trip to Utah!
-Kala P. Tolman

Miss Heather said...

It's me, it's me, Heather (Nelson) Crandall!! I'm SOOOO happy I found your blog!! You are SOOOO beautiful, you look amazing. How is life? My blog is www.thecrazycrandalls.blogspot.com, if you want to check it out. I've missed you!!!