Sharp Family

Sharp Family

Friday, December 19, 2008

Overzealous

I wish that I had a picture to share of my current craziness, but no such luck. For my day off this week I had the wonderful idea of making goodies for all of the people at work as well as the sisters that I visit teach, friends, etc. My husband can attest that sometimes I get into these crazy moods where I get an idea into my head and I have to follow through and finish it, no matter how impractical it may be.

First I decided that I would make pumpkin rolls. This then turned into an assortment of goodies including homemade mint truffles dipped in chocolate, and peanut butter carmel brownie bars. I was also planning on making carmels, but luckily didn't have all of the ingredients.

I got off to a late start and around 12:00 p.m. I started the baking. 4 pumpkin rolls, 50 truffles, a pan of brownies, and 8 hours later I was finally ready to package the platters up and deliver them. I have the most amazing husband in the whole world. He was so patient through the whole process, especially when I wasn't. I was so frustrated that I hadn't just made cookies which would have been 1000 times easier, cheaper and less time consuming. Instead of getting frustrated himself he just decided he would help me. So we packaged everything up and went to make our deliveries at 8:00 at night. When we got home he helped me package up the remaining 15 plates of goodies that I was taking to work the next day. AHHHHHHHHHHH we were finally done.

So this may have sounded as if I were complaining, but I guess my point is that I hopefully learned some things about myself. Sometimes I just need to do things that aren't on such a large scale. It may have taken a long time, but those who received the Christmas goodies were thankful for them. I was reminded again of how wonderful a spouse I have who was willing to help me through my craziness. So, for those of you who received one of these wonderful Christmas treats you will just have to settle for chocolate chip cookies next year because I have learned my lesson.
(I guess we'll see huh:)

8 comments:

Jackie said...

Sisters, sisters..never were there 2 more similar sisters. (In that regard anyway). We Pierce girls are just crazy. I'm planning on doing cinnamon rolls, truffles and caramels today. Not as many as you made though. Maybe I should learn from you and not take so much on. More than likely I'll just save the candy for another day though. You really are amazing to make that many treats ...that was a bunch! Okay, so after singing that song at the beginning of my comment it's made me really want to watch White Christmas...but sadly mine has disappeared. So SAD!!!

Heidi Green said...

So, I don't know if you read my response to Kim's last blog post, but I put on there that I used to take around homemade goodies but switched to b&bw soap because I'd gotten so frazzled. It wasn't the making of the goodies that made me get crazy, it was the going overboard (like you) that did me in. I'm sure that your recipients were truly excited at the bounty they received, so that makes it all worth it. Right? Right?! ;-)

tkfonzie said...

Amy, I am the queen of 'I will just make cookies' and it usually spirals out of control. I am now in the process of making Orange Rolls because I ran out of the packages of Gingerbread men and Chocolate-shortbread cookies I made for Ty's people he works with at church and the breads I made for my people I work with. It is our desire to make Christmas wonderful and since we love yummy treats, we want to share our favorites with everyone!
You have a wounderful and patient spouse, give the man a backrub!

Mandos said...

It all sounds yummy! Myndie and I were just talking about this very thing. I keep thinking I should do more then one thing and then decided that it would be just fine to make one treat. I am giving fudge. I think even with just fudge I will be in the kitchen all day!

Monica said...

I think that no matter what you make you will be at it all day, because you'll start to think of everyone you want to give to, and it turns out to be a lot. This year I did mine in shifts. I made bread bears one day and froze them to stay fresh. Then another day I made cookies, and froze them, then another day I made sugar cookies with my kids and then frosted them the next day. It was so much easier than doing it all in one day!

Team Schiele said...

I love christmas bakeing! It is part of the fun, as is going overboard and going crazy. Its tradition!

Marnie said...

It all sounds yummy and crazy! I love all the baking, I just hate the clean-up part - especially after being busy all day.

Kyle, Amy, and Joshua said...

Amy, Remember me? I just saw your link on the side of Jackie's blog and thought I'd say HI! I didn't even know you were pregnant! CONGRATULATIONS!!!! I'm so so so happy for you!