Sharp Family

Sharp Family

Friday, January 8, 2010

Birthday Fiesta!

So Mike turned 27 yesterday and we had a fun birthday "fiesta" for him. Last year Mike wanted me to make "Posole" for his birthday dinner. Posole is a Mexican stew that he grew to love on his mission. Well, I got a good looking recipe online and went too it. Um, yeah it turned out HORRIBLE. I think Mike ate it just to be nice, but we just threw it all away it was so bad. I was just like red colored water. So this year we had the help of our wonderful neighbors. Our neighbors, the Romero's, who just happen to be members of the church as well, have helped us out a ton from watching our cat, our daughter, helping us get our table, to showing me how to make really yummy Mexican food. So your main ingredients: Espinosa (pork neck), hominy, chile sauce, onion, garlic, cumin, oregano, and salt. First you put the pork meat in a big stew pot and cover with water, adding the garlic, onion, cumin, salt and oregano.Once the meat has simmered for a couple of hours and the meat is tender, you add the chile sauce and hominy.
Once it is ready to go you eat it like a soup. You can top it with tostada's, cilantro, onions, cabbage and a squeeze of lime. Oooo it turned out really well this time. This was the easy way to make posole and it tasted so good. I also made a "Tres Leches" cake which is cake with 3 milks on top. It is normally pretty soggy with milk, but I must have not put enough milk on mine because it was just slightly soggy. > Everything turned out a whole lot better than last year and we had a good time. The Romero's came for dinner as well as the missionaries, and our neighbors across the street.

The missionaries ended up teaching them about the Book of Mormon and asked them if they wanted to take the discussions. It was a big surprise to us, but hopefully things will go well. Thanks for all of your birthday wishes to Mike, he really appreciated it. "Feliz cumpleaƱos a Miquel!"

9 comments:

tkfonzie said...

That is so Cool! You and Mike are super Missionaries...Caleb will be so Proud:). Happy Birthday Mike!

Jackie said...

Fun, fun, fun!!! Look at you party animals! It sounds like it was a great birthday.

Don't be surprised if I call you in about 2 seconds to get some help with my Mexican cooking. I can never make it taste authentic. Mmmm, I need some of those recipes.

Heidi Green said...

That posole looks fabulous. Pork neck? Is is different from the other parts of the pig or is it ok? Your party looks super fun. Hope you had a good day Mike!

Amy and Mike said...

To answer Heidi's concerning question, the pig "neck" tastes just like pork roast. So it is good stuff. I'm not sure what the reason is for using that part of the pig, but it works.

Marlo said...

that sounds like lots of fun... so are the Romono's in the Buena vista Ward? glad all your food turned out great, where did Mike serve his mission? Glad you had a great Birthday Mike!

Mom in Orem said...

That posole looked so good I thought I could smell it! You could take pictures for a cooking show! Glad you had a great birthday and that you even were able to be missionaries, even if it was a surprise. Go missionaries!! How come you never mentioned that on the phone? The Romono's look so nice. How lucky for all of you!

Monica said...

Wow! Amy I am verry impressed. I love posole, but in my almost 12yrs of being married to a hispanic, I have never made posole. I just go to my mother-in-laws. It is also good with dark chicken meat. And if you have a recipe for Tres Leches Cake, I would love to have it. I like it best the way you made it. Not too soggy, just real moist. Mmmmm! It looked so good.

Mandos said...

To be honest I don't think soggy cake sounds all that great. But To each his own!
Looks like you had quite the get togther. I'm glad to hear you are making friends!

Marnie said...

So fun to have such great neighbors! Sounds like the birthday was great! Happy Birthday Mike!