Sharp Family

Sharp Family

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Tomato Macaroni Soup Recipe and More

So my sisters have been sharing some fun recipe's the last little while and I decided that it is my turn. It's always nice to try new recipes and this is one of the Sharp families favorites. This is basically a variation on tomato macaroni soup, but tastes quite a lot like my moms goulash (but even better).:)

V-8 Soup
1 lb. hamburger
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/2 cup diced onion
1/2 tsp. garlic salt
1 48 oz. can V-8 Juice
1/2 tsp. marjoram
2 cups grated carrots
1 Tbsp. Sugar
2 cans cream of celery soup
1 Tbsp. Basil leaves
2 Tbsp. Worcestershire Sauce
1 Bay leaf
2 cups dry macaroni
3-6 cups water

Brown hamburger and onion in a large pot. Once the hamburger is browned, combine all the rest of the ingredients. For a thinner soup use more water. (Since the macaroni is dry it will soak up a lot of the water and so you want to add enough water to make up for that.) Simmer for 1 hour and then remove the bay leaf before serving. We like to add a little cheese to the top when serving.

(It would be fun to have one of those camera's that could take fancy "food" shots, but I don't so this will have to do.) :)



When I made this last night I also decided to make some "Easy Garlic-Cheese Biscuits", courtesy of Betty Crocker and Bisquick. These are similar to the ones you get at Red Lobster. Yummy!

Easy Garlic-Cheese Biscuits


2 cups Original Bisquick mix
2/3 cup milk
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 cup melted butter
1/4 tsp. garlic powder

1. Heat oven to 450 degrees
2. In medium bowl, stir Bisquick mix, milk and cheese with wire whisk or fork until soft dough forms; beat vigorously 30 seconds. On ungreased cookie sheet, drop dough by 10-12 spoonfuls about 2 inches apart.
3. Bake 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. In small bowl, stir butter and garlic powder until well mixed; brush on warm biscuits before removing from cook sheet. Serve Warm



These went with the soup pretty well. Hope you enjoy! P.S. This makes a lot of soup and doesn't freeze well so you might want to half the recipe if you are making it for just a couple people. Feeds a family well.

6 comments:

Mandos said...

We called it stuff growing up. But I have to say we made it a whole lot simpler. Your receipe sounds way better. :O)

tkfonzie said...

We love goulash! I have never even tried "real" goulash...I am afraid I will be disappointed ;). It was funny to me when everyone else called it macaroni-tomato soup. The things we get used to as kids:).

Jackie said...

Thanks for the recipes, I love having new ones to try out.

Heidi Green said...

I used to make those bisquits ALL the time but I've gotten out of the habit - thanks for putting it back on the radar for me. I will totally try your recipe. We can't get enough of soup in the winter.

Goldie said...

AMY, thank you so much for posting that recipe!!! Dan & I were actually JUST talking about goulash last night! I think I will try to make YOUR recipe tonight for everyone. Wish me luck! HA! :)

Monica said...

Sounds good. Think I will try this next week some time.