Sharp Family

Sharp Family

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Endless Yard Work

So when we originally started out we planned on taking a couple years to finish our yard. We definitely won't get everything done this year, but we are really pushing forward and will be getting more done than we originally planned on. I have found out a lot about myself the past few months. I am really becoming O.C.D about things. When I start something, I am obsessive about finishing it, unfortunately regardless of the consequences sometimes. Our backyard has become one of those projects for me and luckily Mike has been very supportive. It will be nice to have our sprinklers and grass in, and who knows, maybe that will help us in getting a dog sooner.:) So we have planted 5 trees, and transplanted 2. We also received some roses and other shrubs from our neighbors that we are waiting to plant in our flower beds. If you look at the pictures you will see them planted in the middle of our yard. No, we are not having a rose garden in the middle of our grass, we are just waiting for a better place to put them. It will take a little while for everything to grow, but we will hopefully be getting some nectarines, peaches, plums, oranges, clementines, raspberries and blackberries within the next few years. We are currently working on our sprinklers. We were going to rent a trencher, but funny me, I thought we could just do it ourselves. I finally finished connecting the final trench today. Mike helped a lot as well. We have a ways to go, but things are starting to come together. Next up, "Square Foot Gardens".


Our flowering pear tree. (Mike and the neighbors moved the big tree to the back and we planted this one in the front yard.)




So Emma has been sick the last few days. It started out as just a cough, but now she has a little fever to go with it. She has been miserable poor girl. I think she is starting to feel a little bit better, but it comes in waves. I was actually able to get some smiles out of her for these pictures even though she is not feeling very good.

6 comments:

Jackie said...

Look at you & all of your hard work. And I love flowering pears, they are so pretty. I can't wait to see the finished results.

tkfonzie said...

You guys have been cruising! I am really impressed by the plants in the middle of the yard, were they all transplants from neighbors? I can tell just by looking at Emma that she was sick, her little cheeks are like Drew's, they get red when she is sick too.
Did any of my advice help or did it make it harder?

Heidi Green said...

My kids are kind of sick too! I hope she gets feeling better. I am totally impressed with all of your hard work in the backyard. I hear ya on pushing to get things done quickly though... if you can go out and help Mike dig the trenches it gets your yard done faster, gives you fresh air and exercise, and Emma probably has fun playing outside too. Way to go! Oh, and Kim is right, it looks like you do have a lot of transplants from neighbors - awesome!

Marlo said...

wow you guys are on a roll... it is so exciting to see progress and visualize the end result... Jared always has lots of plants he gives away, so let us know if you'd like some, it's always wonderful to share plants with people who appreciate them. good luck with all your hard work!

ScoundrelLV said...

I think when you are done with your yard you can come do mine. JK. I am impressed with all of your hard work. It looks great. It will be so nice when everything is green and you can see the results of your hard work.

Mandos said...

It will be worth all the hard work once it's all done! I'm a lttle jeoulous that you can actually work. it's still too cold here.