Sharp Family

Sharp Family

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Visit from Grandma, and More


We have been keeping ourselves busy the last few weeks with visitors as well as some previously postponed projects. It was so nice having my mom come out for a visit. My sister Jackie and her family came to California for a vacation and brought my mom along. It was great to see them all. Unfortunately my mom was sick for the entire trip so I don't know how good of a time she had, but it was just nice to visit with her and for her to get to know Emma a little better. Emma sure loved her Grandma Marla, and my mom was even pretty patient with the pets in the house. I don't know what it is with our house, but everyone who comes to visit ends up getting sick. Please don't let that deter anyone, let's break the cycle. It's just pretty sad. Mike has been super busy with work the last couple of weeks. They have a lot of projects going on, but we finally had an open Saturday and so we started working on our Square Foot Gardens. We are starting out with 3 garden boxes, with the possibility of doing more in years to come. I was amazed at how much dirt we needed. We ended up getting 24 bags of "Mels Mix", (special Square Foot gardening dirt)! It took us a couple trips, but we are finally on our way. Next up, planting the seeds. Let's hope that they grow for us novices.


I also planted some snapdragons yesterday to brighten up our yard a little.


Emma is just growing up in front of our eyes. She is taking steps on her own and will probably be walking within the next week or so. She has also decided that "Sippee Cups" are o.k. now. I was worried about how I was going to wean her since she would not drink out of anything, including just a cup. She finally figured out how to drink out of a straw and not loves her "ba ba", or drink cup. We also put her in her big girl carseat that faces forward. It's fun being able to see what she is looking at, like the train we were stopped at yesterday. That was a good learning opportunity for us. It's fun to see her learning how to do all of these new things, but part of me feels so sad that she is no longer our little baby. I'm sure that will never change.

7 comments:

tkfonzie said...

Look at that awesome car seat that has a cup holder! I can't believe how much they change carseats everyyear to make them 'cooler' and 'safer'. I felt bad that mom was sick but she probably wouldn't have wanted to do too much even if she had felt better. I am excited for you to get your seeds planted in your boxes...you will find out that yard work is never done:).

Jackie said...

That's a cute picture of mom & Emma. It was fun to see you guys, I'm sorry we couldn't stay longer.

Your garden boxes look great, we need to start getting ours started.

Emma looks so big with her car seat facing forward. She was so close to walking when we were there. Watch out, she looks like she's ready to run. :)

Marnie said...

Emma looks so big in her car seat! I love your garden boxes, they look so great!

Unknown said...

Those planters look great. And I cannot believe Emma is old enough to be in that carseat! She still seems like a little infant in my mind.

Mandos said...

Love the front yard it looks great!
I'm glad you guys have ahad the opertuinity to see family lately I'm sure it helps with the home sickness.
As always Emma looks so cute! Now I'm just saying... the picture with Emma in the catr seat She sure looked alot like her auntie Mandi! :)

Linds said...

We're so glad you three are healthy and happy. You're yard looks great and Emma is so big. I can't wait to meet her someday. We would love to be the first to have a fully healthy visit - maybe we can arrange something this summer.

Heidi Green said...

I've read this before and thought I'd commented - sorry. I hope you had a good time with Mom. I'm sorry I got her sick :(

I love your planter boxes. You guys are rocking this gardening thing. I can't wait to see what you grow!!