Sharp Family

Sharp Family

Monday, May 10, 2010

Attempted Campout!

So we haven't been camping as a family since we left Logan and so we were definitely due for a nice overnight camping excursion. It was a last minute decision, but Mike got home early from work so we packed everything up and headed up to the campsite. We found a nice campsite about 30 minutes away that was right next to the Kern River. It was really nice to be out in nature and to just get away from it all. Mike got a fishing license so he could catch a ton of fish, but as usual we don't have much luck in the fishing department. I would have bought a license as well but they were 41 dollars!!! Crazy. Anyway, we pitched the tent, had tinfoil dinners, went on a nature walk, and just enjoyed being together as a family. Then the night came.:) Emma was loving the tent all day long and once we put her to bed she just sat up talking to herself for about an hour. We finally got Emma to sleep and then Molly woke her up barking at the neighbor dog. Our air mattress deflated within a few hours (sorry to those who have had to sleep on it recently, Jackie), and then Emma woke up at 2 a.m. screaming! It was a little chaotic for mom trying to get her settled down, but in the end we just decided to head home for the night and then just come back in the morning. Luckily we were only 30 minutes away, and we all slept better in our own beds. So the next day we got up early and headed back to the campsite for breakfast and a relaxing day at the lake. All in all it turned out being a nice weekend, and for Mother's Day Mike was a sweety and made me breakfast and took care of Emma all day. It was such a nice break. He also got me some wild flower seeds because I have been wanting some. The best thing about Mother's Day besides our own Mother's is having Emma in our lives. She sure is the best thing in the world, crying while camping and all.



7 comments:

tkfonzie said...

Cute:). I am sure that camping with a dog And a 1 year old eas a little challenging, I am glad that through everything you had a good experience.

Jackie said...

Sounds like a fun camping trip (minus having to go home to sleep). I can't wait until it's warm enough here for us to go.

Heidi Green said...

It boggled my mind when I saw her in her swimming suit. It's so cold here that swimming wasn't even on my radar. Ah the joys of living in California. :)

Camping is HARD with little ones - they just want their own beds. Last year at the family reunion I got such little sleep it was hard to function (here's to hoping that age 2 is better :). Good idea to head home for some sleep and return in the AM.

It was fun to see the pics in the tent - super cute family + dog.

Marnie said...

Looks like Emma had a great time! How come no pictures of her screaming in the middle of the night ;)! That is nice that you have camping so close to you.

Unknown said...

That looks like a ton of fun! I cannot wait until camping season.

Heidi Green said...

Oh my gosh, I just revisited your blog and took another look at your pictures. I have always thought that Emma looked just like Mike (I think everyone would probably agree on that.) BUT in the third picture down (the one with the dog & Mike's legs) she looks just like you!!! :)

Monica said...

I'm proud of you for getting out there. It sounds like fun, all except for the night. My kids have all done realy good at night camping, but then we don't have a dog to wake them up either. I'm the one who can't sleep, so I would love to go home and then come back in the morning. Loved the pictures.