Sharp Family

Sharp Family

Sunday, June 5, 2011

Busy Weekends

It has been awhile since I last posted and not for lack of nothing going on, quite the opposite. We have kept ourselves pretty busy the last couple of weeks. Since Mike had Memorial Day off we decided to take advantage of the beautiful weather and head to the beach. We went to Long Beach because they have a section especially for dogs. It was such a nice day and we really enjoyed ourselves playing in the water and digging in the sand.




Yesterday we went to a Pow Wow and had some good "Indian Taco's". Emma was a little nervous of all the people dressed in their regalia, but it was a lot of fun to watch her try and dance along to the drums. She did a pretty good job. There's always a lot of beautiful hand made items at these as well that were interesting to look at.

One thing we were able to accomplish last week was getting rid of our gophers. We tried a couple different things that didn't work, and had just been putting it off, but it was getting pretty ridiculous. We decided to just flood their tunnels and then once they crawled out we caught them on our shovel, packed them in Gracie's kennel, and shipped them off to a barren wasteland miles away from our house.

This may seem pretty crazy to most of you that we would go to all that trouble, but if you know Mike and I at all you would know that we weren't too keen on killing them if we could avoid it. We caught 2 gophers and luckily they did not move very fast so it made capturing them pretty easy. Mike had decided he just wanted to keep them as pets.:) I had to put a stop to the spreading of disease in our home. So mission accomplished. The only con to this situation, aside from the dirt patches in our yard, was that I'm sure there were a few people thinking I was out abandoning kittens in the middle of nowhere seeing as I had these fellows trapped in a cat kennel, and I was dumping them off on the side of the road. It made me sad just thinking about it, but it unfortunatley happens a lot in Bakersfield.

Emma continues to learn and grow, and her new favorite phrase is "I don't like it".(Including the most whinny tone to go along with it.) She says it all day long about EVERYTHING!! Hopefully she'll start liking things again someday.:)

8 comments:

tkfonzie said...

Hmmm, does she Really not like it, or is she just being two:)?
I am glad that you got rid of your funny friends and that you had a fun time at the beach...YEA!

Mandos said...

Not sure when emma will grow out of that stage has'nt happend yet at my house! No, really it gets better about four. LOL!
Gophers! Hopefully, they stay away! Good luck!

Heidi Green said...

Oh, that gopher problem sounds awful. I'm sorry. I have to know though - if you had problems with mice or rats would you do something similar or would you just kill them? Just wondering how big your humane boundaries extend... ;)

I've got "I don't like" going on in my house too. We've got a lot of work on our hands trying to get #4 to be nice lately. Lately he doesn't like anyone!

Your outings sound fun. Where did you go to the Pow Wow? Is there a reservation there?

ScoundrelLV said...

The beach looks like a blast. Great fun for the whole family.
I can relate to the "I don't like". Hopefully Emma isn't giving you the pouty face and all attitude with it too.
Amy you are so good to deal with the gophers in that way. I hope the problem is resolved now.

Jackie said...

I just can't get enough of that girls pigtails...so darling! That looks like a blast playing in the sand.

And your poor, poor grass. I love that story though, it cracks me up.

Marlo said...

glad you got rid of the gophers, (and so human-ly too! where was the pow wow at that you went to? how fun! always fun when the kids start talking back... thank goodness there are stages to childhood, cause the 2-3 year old stage is a very difficult one, Brianne would love to come help out with Emma anytime (really, she loves to serve others) trying to get my kids doing lot's of service for others this summer, so let me know if and when you'd like her to come help out. also you pick a day that you'd like to go do something, just you and Mike, and we'll be happy to watch Emma! (hurry, not much time before the baby gets here! :)

annathanp said...

Your story reminds me of the old Disney nature show where the buffalo rolls on a prairie dog burrow and they all come out and squeek at it.

By the way, the "I no like it" phaze acctually moves back and forth from child to child. Kathrin hated everything, and Stephen teased her about it until he caught it. Then he passed it to Emily. We currently have a chart on the fridge so that we can keep track of who gets to not like things that day. So keep an eye on the dog or cat when Emma passes the infection. ;) Love Jonny

Monica said...

How fun that you can just drive to the beach. Your goffer stroy makes me laugh. I can see Mike wanting to keep them. I'm glad you were able to get rid of them the humane way. Good job. I hope everything continues to go well with the pregnancy.