Sharp Family

Sharp Family

Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Introducing Gordon Michael!

This past month has been crazy and hard not knowing when to plan for this baby to come, but in hindsight the Lord knew what he was doing, we should have been more patient. :-)  we were able to celebrate vivians 3rd birthday which was very low key.  We had presents, hungry hippos was a hit, and we went to chuckie cheese for dinner.  She only wanted a Dora cake so we got a small one to share.     I think she had a good day.  She's so funny, sweet, sensitive, impressionable, etc.  We love Vivian. 

Anyway Sunday rolled around liked any other day. Church was wonderful and I had a very positive experience all around.  Once we got home and the kids down for naps I decided to lay down myself for a bit.  Not too much later I felt this gush of warm fluid and knew my water had broken.  I called Mike, who was still at church and told him it was time to go.  I next called my good friend to come be with the girls.  We had planned for every possible scenario so luckily it all ran smoothly.  Mike had just finished his last interview and so the timing was great.  Vivian was born and hour after my water broke so I was anticipating a quick labor.  I didn't really even start contacting until an hour or two later.  I was so worried we would be there forever and I would have to get pitocin.  Luckily that was not the case.  I was so anxious about getting my I.V., but the nurse was so good and got it in so fast, best I.V. experience ever. After a few hours of not really progressing my nurse helped to release the remainder of my "water".  I guess there was still quite a bit left that the baby could not engage my cervix.  After that things started cooking.  My contractions started to become more regular, and more intense.  After about an hour I began to feel a lot of pressure and knew the baby was on his way.  My nurses were wonderful, they were a great support.  Mike is truly the best husband, father and birthing coach.  He was with me the whole way, reminding me to breathe, mopping me with a cold rag, and just holding my hand or singing me hymns.  It was the best and smoothest delivery we've had.  Once it was time to push I was sure ready, but the doctor decided to take his time.  :-(  I swear the nurses could have delivered him for all the doctor did. The baby was crowning and I was told not to push and just pretty much hold it until the doctor came.  Um, for those who've done natural child birth, that is easier said than done.  My body was ready to pop him out.  So finally the doctor came and just took his time putting on his gloves, etc.  By this time I was mad, and said something like, "anytime"!...so two pushes later and our sweet boy was born.  I am always amazed at how your body and go from such intensity to such relief in a matter of seconds. Such an amazing feeling. 
We knew if we ever were blessed with a boy that we wanted to name him Gordon after President Hinckley.Although it may not be the "cutest" name I was so glad he could be named after two of my favorite people.  I know they will be good examples for him to look up too.  Gordon his also a family name on Mikes side. 

So it has been a whole week now and it seems like so much longer.  He seemed to be eating pretty well, but he wasn't having wet diapers.  We took him in for his check up and he'd lost 9 oz., in 3 days.  No good.  So we had to give in to the pumping and bottle feeding for now.  I was so sad the other night when I tried to nurse and he wanted nothing to do with me.  Very sad.  At least I can do what I can for him in the form of breast milk.  Hopefully once he recovers from his circumcision yesterday we'll be able to get him back on the breast.  He is gaining weight now and is the sweetest thing ever.  He cries like a horse, "neigh, neigh".  We love him so much and can't imagine our family without him.  The girls, grandma ann, and aunt Melodee have been loving him up.  Happy 1 week
+ Gordon!

3 comments:

tkfonzie said...

Wow, I would feel like refusing to pay the Dr. for all the casualness he was giving you! Gordy is darling,(sorry I am a gal who needs to make nicknames;) he looks like a blend of Emma and Vivi. I am glad that everything went well and that he is eating now, hopefully he will nurse when he gets more strength.

Anonymous said...

I LOVED reading your birth story. When I saw you post on Facebook that your water broke on Sunday I was curious to see if it happened at church - wouldn't that be a story the ward would love to tell?!? I love his name and love seeing the pics of him. I'm sorry the nursing isn't going as hoped but I'm glad he's gaining weight now. Love you!!!
PS - Happy birthday Vivi! Chuck-E-Cheese is a favorite among my kids too. ;-)

Melissa said...

Congrats Amy! He is beautiful!