Sharp Family

Sharp Family

Thursday, October 1, 2009

California Dreamin

So we are officially Californians. We flew into Bakersfield late last night and have been spending the day getting settled in. We have been really blessed in that Dreyer's is putting us up in temporary housing for 45 days. It is fully furnished and all of our necessities of life besides food are pretty much payed for. It has really made our transition very easy. Yesterday was a little crazy, but good for the most part. We were able to get our home cleaned really quickly. It was SOOOO nice not having to pack or move any of our stuff. We were so spoiled and felt stupid just sitting on the couch while other people pack our things. It has been a great load off of us though with Emma and all of Mike's school stuff that he still had to complete. We basically just came along for the ride. We had a lot of help from friends in the ward as well. One couple lent us their car after ours was shipped off and another provided us with cleaning supplies and a ride to the airport. We are really going to miss Columbus, we got to know some amazing people and will truly miss them. It's a lot harder saying goodbye to people that come into my life lately. I mean it is always hard, but as I've gotten older I guess reality hits a little bit more of how I may never see many of these people again and that makes me sad so we will get off of that sad subject.

Our flight as a lot smoother than we were anticipating. Gracie did the best of all. She didn't even make a peep and most people didn't realize we even had a cat with us. Emma on the other had made plenty of peeps. She was really tired and had a difficult time falling asleep. So the end of our day was the hardest because Emma was 3 hours past bedtime, our cat needed to get out of her carrier, and it took us 2 hours after landing to finally find our apartment and get settled. We're just glad to be here now and realize how blessed we are to have gotten her safely, have a place to live, family and friends that love us and a job. We are really fortunate and thank you all for your support.

OH, Emma is also 6 months old TODAY! I can't believe that we have had her for that long, but it has been a wonderful 6 months and we sure love her.




We wish we would've gotten more pictures with all of our friends out here, but of course we never had our camera with us, but at least we got a picture with the Renchers who were good friends of ours from our ward.

Emma at 6 months

Us at the airport

Ashley and I

The Cute Rencher Family

Emma Helping Pack

Mike always says he's going to ship Emma off to live with the Gypsies.

6 comments:

tkfonzie said...

Oh so cute picture of Emma in the box, you could tell that she thought she was something great! I am so glad that you made it there safely and that Gracie didn't give you any problems. I know it is hard to leave people that you have learned to love...isn't it lucky that we have phones and e-mail and blogs to keep us all up to date:).

Miss Heather said...

I can't believe you're all in California now!! WOW! I love it there, I really do. Bakersfield is really nice too, not too far from where I grew up. I'm so glad you're happy!

Mandos said...

Saying good bye is always hard. I think the internet is a wonderful tool to help us stay connected to people we love put can't see. Join facebook! :)
Loved Emma in the box! You could tell she was having fun she had the biggest smile!

Team Schiele said...

I laughed about sending Emma off to the gypsies. I think Mike got threatned with that more than once.

Enjoy exploring your new town.

ScoundrelLV said...

I wish my moving would have been so easy. I think it is truly a blessing for the three or four of you. Change is always hard. I hope you love your new city. It will take some time, but you know it is home. We just need to plan to get together soon.

Mom in Orem said...

You are being blessed! And I want a copy of Emma in the box!