Sharp Family

Sharp Family

Monday, February 14, 2011

Cranky child and more

So this past week Emma has been sick. Poor girl gets colds a lot. I guess it's just the age. This time she had a fever so it called for a little extra special treatment. We just had a standard thermometer which she hates. She refused to let me put it under her arm, and the rectal at this age is a joke, so we broke down and got an ear thermometer. I was leery because we went to the doctor recently and she freaked out when they tried to check her temperature, or anything for that matter. She is in this stage where she thinks things are going to "hurt" her. She says "hurt you" if something hurts. As soon as she saw me pick up the thermometer at the store she pushed it away and said, "hurt you". Well we got it anyway and although I have to hold her down to use it I think she'll survive. Funny girl. So she finally started feeling better and then the last few days she has begun waking up screaming at 4:00 and 5:00 in the morning and refuses to go back to sleep. Her mother has been pretty tired the last couple of days. Luckily last night she slept a whole lot better. I'm not sure exactly what it is, but she is going through a faze.

On a happier note, Mike and I were able to go on a date last weekend. We just went out to dinner, but it was amazing how nice it was to go WITHOUT Emma. We were actually able to talk and enjoy our meal. We really need to make it a priority and get out more. Also, Mike surprised me and made us breakfast this morning. Pink heart shaped pancakes and eggs. I slept right through it so it was fun to wake up too. I'm sure lucky to have such a sweetie.

6 comments:

Heidi Green said...

Happy valentines day... what a sweet hubby.

I'm glad you got an ear thermometer. I think they're soo nice to have. I'm betting she'll get used to it - my kids ask to get their temps taken all the time even when they're not sick. ;) I hope she gets feeling better soon so she (and you) can get some more sleep. Good luck!

Marnie said...

Mike is so sweet to get up and make you breakfast. I am also glad you two had the chance to go on a date! How fun.
I am sorry Emma has been so sick. I agree with your sister, my kids love the ear thermometer now, but were nervous about it in the beginning so hopefully she will come around. Also, if she continues to wake up early screaming and is still feeling sick, I would check for an ear infection. At least with my kids that is always the culprit!

tkfonzie said...

I am sorry that Emma is still under the weather and that you are losing so much sleep:(. Thankfully it is getting warmer and you can have more outside time and be less cooped up:).

annathanp said...

Ear thermometers are the best. Hopefully, she & you can get some better sleep. Sick kids at any age aren't fun.

Jackie said...

I think you were smart to get the ear thermometer. We should probably invest in one. Speaking of ears, it might be an ear infection, if she continues screaming you might want to take her in. Get feeling better little Emma Lou!

Monica said...

I'm glad you were able to go on a date. That's a must. I'm sorry to hear that Emma was sick and keeping you up. That is hard when you are pregnant too.