Sharp Family

Sharp Family

Sunday, August 28, 2011

The Bakersfield Curse





We were so fortunate to have Mike's sister Melodee out to visit and help out for a couple weeks. She was such a big help especially with Emma. Since the end of my pregnancy, and trying to get Vivian to eat well, Emma has had a serious lack of physical activity. Melodee was nice enough to give our energetic 2 year old some more attention.

Unfortunately we have decided that there is a serious Bakersfield Curse. (Do NOT let this information deter any of you from coming to visit) :) Both times that Melodee has come to visit she has gotten sick, and my Mom developed a terrible cold when she came to visit as well. We're not sure what's in the water out here, but it's sure not fun. Although Melodee wasn't feeling well she was a lot of help and it was nice spending time with her. I don't know how I'm going to handle this coming week, I've gotten very spoiled with all the help I've been receiving. Luckily Vivian is doing 100% better at nursing and is now up to 7 lbs. We are also working on getting her on a better sleeping schedule. We use the "Baby wise" system which worked pretty well with Emma. Vivian sure is a lot easier to put down than Emma. Emma cried all the time so we became somewhat immune to the sound.:) Although we hate to hear her cry, 5 minutes of fussing will hopefully be beneficial to her being able to learn some self-soothing strategies in order to sleep better.

While Melodee was here she, Mike, and Emma were able to go up to the Trail of 100 Giants and Dome Rock.



Someday Mommy will get to see these huge trees as well. Emma had a good time and came back with a few scrapes and her first bee sting. I guess there were a few people who got stung up at the ward camp out.

I also wanted to post some of these funny pictures of Emma. She LOVES to play dress up and the last time we went to the CALM aka Bakersfield zoo, the animals were actually out and about, and this turtle came to give Emma a kiss.

Emma's favorite animals are the bears


An actual RoadRunner


Who knew porcupines could climb trees?



An actual picture of Vivian with her parents. She wasn't too happy.

4 comments:

tkfonzie said...

I love how you termed it the 'actual' picture of Vivi with her parents:)).
What fun pictures:) I am glad that you had Melodee's help and sorry that she wasn't feeling well; isn't Mike's mom coming out in a couple of weeks for the Baby Blessing?
Glad that girl is eating better, and once you get the sleep thing figured out, you will be GOLDEN!

Heidi Green said...

I think Melodee kind of looks like you...

I'm so glad she came out to visit - what a cute sil! Bummer that she got sick. :(

I'm so glad all is well with Viv's eating. I'm sure that is such a blessing to your whole family.

Love ya!

Monica said...

Those are fun pictures. I'm glad Mel could come and visit. Hope all is going good. What is the sleep method you mentioned?

annathanp said...

Extra hands are so nice with a new baby, especially the other siblings. We're glad things are improving.

I tried Baby Wise for Emily but she was too strong willed. I'm glad to know it does work for other people.

Vivian is so little but always has a sweet look on her face.