Sharp Family

Sharp Family

Sunday, March 15, 2009

Blood Draws, and I'V's, and Pee Jugs Oh My!!!



So the last week has been rather interesting. Last weekend I decided to get some blood work done to check for Colestatsis of Pregnancy. Basically I was having some excessive itching all over my body and after reading more about the risks of Colestasis I wanted to rule the option out. So after getting those results back the nurses decided that I needed to come in for more tests and non-stress tests for the baby twice a week. O.K. this was all fine except knowing how to work it around my work schedule. I only had 2 weeks left and so we decided we could just make it work. Anywho, so the next set of results came back on Friday. I guess I have elevated levels of protein in my urine and so they told us we had to come to the hospital to be checked for preclamsia, get some more tests as well as some steroids to help the baby's lungs to develop in case of pre-term delivery. We are luckily at 34 weeks today, which is still early, but the further along the better. So we have been sitting here in the hospital for 3 days now just waiting to know more. Sorry if this is too much information for ya, but they have been taking 24 hour urine tests which is why everything is taking so long. I have taken 2 so far and am on my 3rd batch. My levels are elevated, but not high enough for them to really know what to do with me yet. We have decided that I can probably pee in a jug at home just as easily as at the expensive hospital so hopefully we will get out tonight. We understand the need for them to keep an eye on me just in case it is preclamsia, but it's a little boring just sitting in the hospital. As long as the baby is o.k. though is the most important thing. So, at this point we are still in limbo, but we'll see. I have officially ended work which will be nice to have some time to prepare a little bit more since it seems like Baby Sharp will be coming sooner than later. We sure appreciate all of your thoughts and prayers and we will keep you posted.

6 comments:

Team Schiele said...

We are praying for you! Hang in there.

Mandos said...

I had Toxemia with Breanna, which when I looked it up was the same thing as Preeclampsia. Mine came on very suddenly at the end of my pregnancy (which I was very grateful.) My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Heidi Green said...

Thanks for the update Amy, I've been calling mom for info but you know how that can be even more confusing sometimes ;-) Ditto everyone on the thoughts and prayers.

tkfonzie said...

I talked to Mom on Saturday and she was so funny. She thought that the hospital should be giving you an IV to bring down the protien in your urine. I explained that the only cure for 'ails you' is birthing that baby and she was a little confused at first and then really embarrassed that she stressed you out asking questions when she should have called me for info first. Oh well, it has been a while:). I am glad you are out of the hospital, keep us updated.

Monica said...

So what is Colestasis? I guess you don't have that.

Brooke said...

I hope you are all the way better now... I loved your st. patricks day... and I'm so glad you're almost due (I'm sure you are too).