Sharp Family

Sharp Family

Sunday, October 19, 2008

A Weekend in the Life of Mike



One of the nicest things I can do for my wife is to write on our blog. So since we had a fun weekend, I thought I would write a few words about it and surprise Amy. I'm imagining when she finds out she'll probably get a little teary eyed with excitement, then she'll probably want to hug and kiss me a lot.
It started with a Friday night excursion to our favorite pumpkin festival in Circleville. Circleville is only 30 minutes away according to locals, but it took us an hour to get there in the "everybody in Columbus is trying to get to the same little small town" traffic. We ended up going with some of our friends from our Ward, which was fun. The festival was a really good time besides the elbow to elbow people traffic that we had to shimmy our way through to get from place to place. There wasn't as much pumpkin stuff as I was expecting, but I was still able to try some pumpkin cake, pumpkin scone, pumpkin donuts, and even a pumpkin burger (which surprisingly didn't taste very good). They also had an enormous thousand pound pumpkin and the largest pumpkin pie probably in the world, but maybe just Circleville. Either way, it was larger than Amy's nephew's could probably eat, but maybe not.

Saturday morning was an amazing adventure in taking my little brother Mike to the zoo. Since my real little brother is serving a mission in Seattle I decided to get a new little brother by becoming a mentor with the Big Brother's Big Sister's program. So far it has been a lot of fun. I made the mistake yesterday, however, to let little Mike get a Volt soda pop. I'm not sure why I thought letting an already attention deficit seven year old drink a highly caffeinated and sweetened drink would be a good idea. He was all over the place, but the zoo was a good place for that. There is so much to look at that he could just bounce from one animal to the next. He wanted to look at every little thing as well, so even though he didn't want to look at anything for too long, we still didn't make it around even half the zoo. It was funny because he decided that he was going to be my zoo guide. Whenever we would go to see a new animal he would tell me what it was and other random information. For example "oh Michael! look here is a flat green snake, it is poisonous and can eat a whole kid, I mean man whole, it lives in Texas." He told me when we left that I should quit school and work at the zoo so that we could go all the time.
Saturday night we played some games with some of our other friends here in Columbus. We ate some Delicious soup compliments of Chef Amy, and played a couple of games. Of course I dominated! Today has been a really good Sunday. We are helping our primary kids practice for the primary program next week. Our primary presidency is pulling out all the stops, singing in different languages, chimes, sign language. It should be pretty fun. Well, this post is over. Now I just have to wait for the tearful hugs and kisses.

7 comments:

Heidi Green said...

I love these posts that give us a glimpse into what you're doing out there! The pumpkin festival sounded fun (and yummy). Also, it sounds like you have a lot of fun with your little brother - how often do you get together? Keep the posts coming Mike - they're fun.

Jackie said...

Mike, you are so funny. I hope she continues to give you kisses so that you'll keep posting. It's great to hear from both of you. It sounds like a fun weekend. Oh, and I don't think I ever want to try a pumpkin hamburger, that sounds really gross.

Unknown said...

Your primary program sounds much cooler than mine. The only cool thing about mine is watching my shy 7 and 8 year olds be forced to sing the baptism song all alone. They hate it and look so nervous...I laugh a lot at them.

tkfonzie said...

Good job Mike. We went to the zoo on Friday but it does'nt sound like we had as much fun as you did. (Drew would have been in pumpkin pie heaven!;).

Marnie said...

Mike, I love it that the two of you take turns posting. It is fun to hear things from your different perspectives.
Okay so now I have to say Mike, what were you thinking giving that kid a Jolt! Hopefully you learned your lesson and will not repeat with baby sharp! It sounds like you still had a great time though.

Mandos said...

I hope you get lots of kisses too! :) It sounds like you are enjoying being a big brother. I'm gald your doing it.

Mom in Orem said...

Pumpkin burgers were not good? Are you sure?

Mike and Mike at the zoo: Got any pictures?

Amy, this one definitely deserves hugs and kisses.