Sharp Family

Sharp Family

Friday, August 28, 2009

Welcome to Bakersfield


When Amy and I first talked about where we would like to live when I got a job after college, I told her the only place I don't want to go is California. I hate traffic and always associated California with sitting in a hot car for hours on end. Well, Tuesday I had a chance to fly out to Bakersfield for a job interview with Dreyer's Ice Cream. Bakersfield is a small town for California standards, only about 300,000 people live there. It has grown a lot over the past ten years, and because of that, coupled with it's desert climate, reminded me a lot of Vegas, minus the strip. It's not the prettiest town, but the traffic was great, the people were all very nice, and it seems like a very family oriented town. On the down side it's a hot dead town. At least they have a triple A baseball team!
I spent Tuesday driving around the city looking at apartments. We're definitely hoping to get in a house sooner than later, but figure we'll have to spend at least some time in an apartment. I took the video camera with me and filmed it all for Amy. Wednesday was my interview from 8:45am till 3pm. I interviewed with 8 different people. Luckily they were organized enough that they each took a part of my resume to ask me about, so I didn't get the same questions over and over. I was a little nervous that morning, but I talked to Amy and she reminded me that I had a chance to spend a whole day talking about something I love, Ice Cream. I went in with that attitude and really had a good time. Some of the interviews were pretty intense, asking me tough science questions. Other interviews were a little more laid back, mostly just about my background. Overall, I felt like I did well, and was impressed with the opportunity. There is really no better company than Dreyer's that I could work for. They are by far the leader of being dedicated to advancing the science and technology of Ice Cream, and that is a perfect fit for me. I spent that afternoon going to a couple of houses with a realtor and the camcorder. Then I got back here to Columbus yesterday afternoon.
Today I got a call to let me know they unanimously decided to offer me the job. Amy and I have been praying about it and went to the temple, and have decided that this will be a great opportunity for us, and we're grateful to a loving heavenly father who is guiding us. They want me to start October 5th, so it is going to be crazy getting ready to leave that soon. So, we're pretty excited and nervous. Even though we might not be living in Utopia, it will be a great opportunity as well as a chance to be a lot closer to family.

12 comments:

Melissa said...

congrats on your new job! that is so exciting especially in this economy. that is a long move, but i'm sure you will be happy to be closer to family. again congrats! i'm very happy for you!

Team Schiele said...

Yeah! We are so excited to have you "close" Congrats to the Bakersfield Sharps

Linds said...

Congrats - We are so excited for you!

Ashley said...

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Exciting - we're so happy for y'all and so sad at the same time!! ;) We will miss y'all but Bakersfield is SOO lucky to have you! Congratulations!!! Let us know how we can help with the big move!

Heidi Green said...

Hooray! That's exciting, congratulations!

Beth said...

Congrats on your new job and your move! You will only be about 4 hours from us - if you ever need a place to stop or stay on your way to Utah you are more than welcome at our house!

tkfonzie said...

We are so excited for you and Amy! They couldn't have made a better choice in our opinion:). Yea for being closer!

Mandos said...

Congratulations!! I'm So excited for you both. It will be nice to have you a little closer. Good luck on the move. Wish I could help you out!!! Love you!!!

Jackie said...

CONGRATULATIONS! We're super excited for you. Good luck in this new adventure, it sounds like it is going to be crazy until you graduate. We're looking forward to visiting you guys. Hooray!

Marnie said...

Yipee! Hurray for the new job! Hurray for moving closer! Hurray for Ice Cream! Good Luck with all the preparations of moving. I wish I could come help.

Monica said...

Wahoo! Congrats on the job offer. What a blessing. It is amazing how everything has just fell into place for you. I can see how the Lord has made it all possible and performed this miracle on your behalf. I'm excited for you and your new adventure.

Mom in Orem said...

Me too! I am soooo excited for you! Bakersfield is going to be a wonderful place for you!